Thursday, March 20, 2014

Music brings people together

          When something happens in our lives whether it be good or bad, I know, at least for myself, I turn to music to help me either get through the situation or just to make it memorable. I’m not musically talented so I rely on people like Beyonce to put out songs that I can some how relate to. It also makes you feel like you aren’t alone in what you’re going through, which connects back to what is said in the book about the four ways the media encourages public engagement. Music can fit in every one of the four ways, but focusing on the song Heaven, I believe it fits best under the category of nurturing public belonging and community. “For many commentators, the public sphere also implies participation in a broader public culture and the nurturing of a sense of cohesiveness, common identity and belonging.”(176) People love to feel like someone out there has been through what they are going through. It gives them hope. This song is really about death, but also it’s about finally getting closure and accepting that they’re in a better place. In the beginning of the song Beyonce sings “I fought for you/The hardest, it made me the strongest/So tell me your secrets/I just can’t stand to see you leaving/But heaven couldn’t wait for you” this part really speaks on a subject she hasn’t really talked about all that much, her miscarriage. Something tragic that a lot of women go through and struggle to find peace and acceptance after. We all can find comfort in music, Beyonce has created something with this song that not only helps the women going through a miscarriage but anyone that has lost someone. This song is something that all of these people can relate to and feel like they aren’t the only one. This song is creating a sense of “belonging”, for a community of people who are struggling with the loss of a loved one. The way that she ends the song saying “so go on, go home” and the lords prayer, it makes it clear that she is finding closure, something that a lot of people struggle with. When you see that she made it through, it gives you hope that you too can make it through, because you have that one thing in common. So, whether it be a happy moment or a sad time in your life music brings people together.

6 comments:

  1. I agree with your statement that music does bring people together. This is so true, and the use of your example proves this. Music allows people to get through any situation and is a main outlet for most people when they're feeling any kind of emotion. Music in general is a media text that can be shared in all state of minds. This song definitely allows a coping mechanism for not only people who are experiencing what she is going through, but also anything similar and relating to the topic. Music related to this is a power that effects people in a variety of ways, allowing people to come to terms with the emotions they are feeling and move past the downfalls within life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you when you wrote, “music brings people together.” This is because music is very open and can bring communities together who like the same type of music. For example, look at festivals where people who come to listen to the same bands etc. People who have never met before but all join in unison to celebrate music. With that in mind music brings “public belonging and community” as you stated in your post

    ReplyDelete
  4. Music does bring people together whether they realize it or not. Music is something everyone in the world listens to. It is something that connects you to someone else in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "This song is something that all of these people can relate to and feel like they aren’t the only one." This statement really stood out to me when I first read the post. That no matter who you are you will find music to relate to.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that you discussed how the media connects the media users to each other. Pop music is definitely something that promotes a sense of belonging in our society. It's interesting to think that it is this way because of things like the radio, the internet, and music videos. This is part of our capitalist society, which Hodkinson talks about when he speaks of globalization.

    ReplyDelete